TJU Syllabus for A Brief history of Western Linguistics
1. Course Description
By studying in this course, students are supposed to acquire the basic knowledge on general history of linguistic progress in the Western world. They are advised to try to organize their own opinions on various schools¡¯ point of view. Each student is required to finish a specific brief study on any preferred school or linguist, in order to earn a basic train of linguistic problem research.
This is a selective course for undergraduate students who major in Chinese Language and Literature. By studying it, students are supposed to get familiar with the brief history, various Schools of western linguistic study and their primary viewpoints. The major aim of this course is to widen students¡¯ horizon, and help them draw their own conclusion on different linguistic views and understand history of linguistic thoughts from a European-North American perspective.
Chapter 1 Introduction
Chapter 4 The Middle Age
Chapter 5 The Renaissance and after
Chapter 6 The eve of Modern times
Chapter 7 Comparative and Historical Linguistics
Chapter 8 The Young Grammarians
Chapter 9 de Saussure
Chapter 10 The
Chapter 11 The
Chapter 12 the American Descriptivist
Chapter 13 The Transformational Generative Grammar
Chapter 14 Other Contemporary Linguistics Studies
4. Semester Hour Structure
Presentation (30%); Submit papers (70%)
6. Text-Book & Additional
R. H. Robins: A Short History of Linguistics (4th edition), Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press, January, 2003.
1. R. H. Robins, translated by Xu Debao: A Short History of Linguistics, China Social Sciences Press, October, 1997.
2. Pieter A. M. Seuren: Western Linguistics: An Historical Introduction, Blackwell Publishers, 1998.
3. Theodora Bynon, F. R. Palmer edited: Studies in the History of Western Linguistics, Cambridge University Press, 1986.
5. Xu Zhimin: A Brief History of Western Linguistics,
6. Liu Runqing: A Introduction to the Western Linguistic Schools, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press, August, 2013.